Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Parent Partner Update with Elisa G.

I want to tell you about a very special family that we worked with for about two years. The first few times we met,  mom would not open the door or would only open it a bit and send us away. She was scared. I consistently visited her and  one day, took her to  buy groceries.  After she realized we were good people (wraparound), she got around to opening the door and allowed us to meet with her and her son. He did not let us see his face, his long beautiful hair covered it. As time went by, and they got familiar with our program and activities we did together, they started to trust us and confide in us and even looked forward for us to meet weekly. One evening I took them dinner and he allowed me to see his face I knew that we were to making progress as trust had finally  been established. I spent  a lot of time with mom. I was her friend. We ran errands together, pay bills and we formed a relationship and according to her, it was  forever. Even though the team and I  were concerned on how both would maintain their improvement after the program finished. We knew sooner or later we were to close. Resources, linking the family to activities and all that we do was in place. The boy graduated from high school and it was time to go.
We still keep in touch, and to my amazement they are doing well together and moving forward in this life with their mental illness. The family is  capable to be resourceful and continue to use skills that were facilitated by the team. Mom found a job and currently  manages the apartment building where they reside. Her son is still in a program that gives him seasonal work and has a steady girlfriend. We should be proud of our influence and work with families. This family is forever grateful and like mom tells me we are friends forever. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment