Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Informal Support by. Silvester Hernandez CFS


My greatest informal support would have to be Coach Campbell. Coach Campbell was my high school baseball coach who taught me not only how to play the game of baseball the right way but how to go about living life positively or “the right way.” Coach Campbell was very good at relating whatever baseball drill/practice activity to some aspect of life. Coach always presented the team with scenarios that would promote respect towards others, responsibility, hard work, resilience and many other positive qualities that will not only assist us in playing the game of baseball but that would “assist you youngsters in the game of life.” To motivate us and maintain positivity, Coach would always refer back to professional baseball and say, “in this game you can fail 70% of the time and still be considered a professional ball player.” To me that meant failure was not so bad and just because I failed a few times it did not mean I could not be good at baseball. It meant I should keep trying and not give up. That although failure was unavoidable in the game of baseball, it can be decreased with not giving up, maintaining resilience and  working hard  during practice and games. After high school I look back and now find myself often time relating baseball or sports in general to life. Coach Campbell and baseball helped me realize that life, just like baseball, will present you with many obstacles that one must manage and overcome in order to reach that professional level. So, keep trying and never give up. Thanks Coach Campbell for your support when I often times struck out.    - Silvester Hernandez, CFS

No comments:

Post a Comment